...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Sunday 8 December 2013

25 Days of Christmas Day 8

The Art of Sending Christmas Cards

I researched about the history of sending Christmas cards. It seems to have become a lost art.  Every year the cards are less and less. I have to admit that I've been sending less, for various reasons, and for some years I didn't send any. With all the Social Media out there now, people just have to send a message and hit the "enter" button and the message is sent to everyone.
My favourite cards are the Victorian style of cards from Europe.
I bought these cards from an antique store. The stamps were date 1907-1912.
Feel free to copy and save them if you like.
 
 The tradition of sending Christmas cards began in the UK in 1840. A man by the name of Sir Henry Cole was thinking of a way to increase the use of the new "Public Post Office."
He came up with the idea of making cards along with his friend John Horsley who was an artist.
The cards were too expensive for the average person. As time went on and the printing press improved as well as modes of transportation the cost became more affordable.
The Christmas card came to the US in the late 1940's. By 1910-1920's homemade cards became very popular.
If you want to read more you can check out the link here.

 And now we've come full circle with the art of Scrapbooking. There is nothing like a homemade card, but of course it takes time, and time seems to be a rarity these days.
If you're looking for free Vintage cards you can find a lot here at The Graphics Fairy,and here at Little Birdie Blessings

If you're looking for some pictures for decorating, just print these on some cardstock and place in a picture frame, or inside a mason jar, or hanging on a line of jute with clothespins. The ideas are endless.
 
This is a Dutch Christmas card that says "Happy Holidays"

Take some time to send someone a special message. It will make their day. I know I'm going to.

Blessings, Diane
 

2 comments :

  1. Diane, I love all of the vintage Christmas cards! I prefer the older styles over the mod slick designs that are out today! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world! Feel free to share this post or any other post at my Make it Pretty Monday party which is currently live. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/12/make-it-pretty-monday-week-79.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. The art of wishing Christmas through cards and gifts is the tradition old times. And I love it. So I made a colorful card containing a yellow house

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane