...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Friday 20 February 2015

Easy Vegetable Chowder

It has been so horribly cold lately!
Once that cold gets in my bones, it's hard to get it to leave.
I actually hope I'll get a hot flush so I can get warm.
Can you believe that?
No one ever asks for a hot flush.
Well if a hot flush doesn't help, then some good chowder should!
At least it warms one part of your body!
 
I know there are lots of recipes out there,
so I thought I'd share mine.
 
I found this recipe online on 2/19/01.
That's the date on my printed copy.
But I added some ingredients from other recipes to come up with my very own.
 And it got two thumbs up tonight at dinner.
1. Fry up some bacon and or sausage
2. Save some of the drippings and sauté the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic
3. Transfer to a saucepan and add the diced potatoes, and water
4. When the potatoes are tender, add the milk and when heated,
mash them by hand and then add the corn and peas
Add: salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, basil, parsley, or anything else you think would work.
The added seasonings really add flavour to the soup.
(You mash the potatoes with the potato masher)
Add in the bacon.
You can continue to cook it in the saucepan on the stove
or transfer it to a crockpot.
(This is great if you want to cook earlier and you don't have to worry about it burning.)
I put it on high until there was some movement happening and then I reduced it to low.
When you're ready to serve you can embellish each bowl
with some shredded cheese and bits of bacon.
A few weeks ago, I had a friend over for lunch and made the same soup.
I served it with cornbread.
Tonight we had homemade bread from the bread maker.
This was my son's plate.
He was hungry.
He ate it all too.
Sometimes he can't finish what's on his plate because, you know the old saying,
"His eyes were bigger than his stomach"
This is my darling husband chuckling at me taking pictures while we were eating.
Just for that he's gets blogged!
 
Click here to print my version of the recipe.
I managed to find the original source and you can click here to print as well.
 
Serve with your favourite bread.
It is truly delicious!
 
Blessings,
 
Sharing at:


5 comments :

  1. Diane that vegetable chowder looks absolutely yummy. I am definitely going to try this. I need something for tomorrow as we are watching the Nascar Race. This would be perfect AND with the cold temps and the snow flying it will warm everyone. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Blessings ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll like it! Add some spices; little bit. You can also use a chicken or vegetable broth in place of the water. May the best man win the race! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks yummy! I've never made veggie chowder, so I'm interested in giving it a shot. I'm a new food blogger and found you on a link party. I've followed your social sites and hope we can connect on those. Can't wait to read more of your blog. Becky with CookingWithVinyl.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious. Vegetable chowder is new to me, so I am definitely going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks simply divine! I'm printing out a copy to try, thanks so much for sharing your recipe.
    Nice visiting your blog, it's lovely!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane