...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Sunday 2 December 2012

No Sew Christmas Runner

I've been wanting to make something "crafty" for Christmas, but as usual time is always a factor (and energy). I was in the stamping section at Michael's and saw a nice set of alphabet stamps. Then it occurred to me. I could stamp a runner or pillow instead of stitching them and be done a lot quicker! Instead of sewing I would just rip the edges which would give it the "rustic" look. And that's what I did and it turned out quite nice.
Used my 40% off coupon for these!
I attached a piece of flannel about one inch smaller than the runner. I did that because I wanted to stitch white stars or snowflakes on the runner and this makes it easier to hide the stitching on the backside.
I used osnaburg but you could use muslin or any type of cotton.  I coffee stained the fabric and baked it in the oven on a low temp and then ironed it.. I tore all four sides which made all the edges even and "ragged". I chose the phrase "Silent Night Holy Night" to stamp on the runner.
 
I used white thread and randomly stiched white flakes above the phrase. I used a dissolvable pen to draw a line for the letters and to make the stars.
This is the finished product. Little work and a good feeling of accomplishment!
A little vignette that I put together. I've already changed it a bit but am too lazy to take a picture.

2 comments :

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane