...all things pertaining to the warmth and coziness of home

Sunday 16 November 2014

Hearty Beef Stew

Well the cold weather has arrived. (Sad face)
I finally put away my summer clothes and dug out the warm woollies.
Some stuff went in a bag for donation.
Do you ever hang up something you think you might wear and never end up wearing it?
Well, if three years later you are still hanging up and packing up the same thing, it's time to put it away and let someone else hang it up.
 
That is how I spent my Saturday afternoon.
Today I did some cooking and baking.
It was a homemade kinda day.
Today we had Beef Stew for supper.
It was cooked in the crockpot.
I love using my crockpot!
I tried something different and it worked!
I know there are a lot of recipes out there for all kinds of stew so I thought I'd add to the pile!
 
So here is what I made today and I got thumbs up from my men.
I looked at a few recipes in books and online and finally went back to an old favourite.
We got a crock pot for a wedding gift and it came with a small recipe booklet.
One of the recipes I tried was the Beef Stew and I really liked it.
So I used this recipe again with a couple of changes.
Fry up cubed stewing beef and add some salt, pepper, and seasoning.
This is a step I never did before.
I always put everything in the crock pot and let it do the work.
I didn't cook it all the way through, just got it hot and browned.
I transferred it all to the crockpot.
Then added 1/2 cup of flour for thickening.
It stirred in quite nicely.
I added a small tin of tomato paste (not part of the original recipe) and 2 cups of beef broth.
Four carrots
Three to four potatoes diced (the picture does not show it all), plus an onion and a stalk of celery.
 
Here is the complete recipe:
 
2 pounds beef stew meat cut in one inch cubes
1/2 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups beef broth
1 small can of tomato paste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
4 carrots chopped
3-4 potatoes diced
1 onion chopped
1 stalk celery diced
1 cup frozen peas 
1 cup frozen corn
 
Mix well and put on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 10-12 hours.
I add the frozen peas and corn approximately one hour prior to serving.
Serve with warm homemade bread!
 
You can print the recipe here.
 
It tastes as good as it looks!
Delicious with a slice of homemade bread (from the bread maker!)
The tomato paste didn't take away from the beef but added to it.
My guys loved it.
Hope you do too!
 
Blessings,
 
 
Sharing here:
Imparting Grace 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I so appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. I am blessed by each one. Diane